Thursday, September 11, 2008

The Tonsils are Out!



This kid on Lortab!
Hayden got his tonsils out yesterday. I hate it when my kids have to go through any kind of pain. Last week our doctor (one of them) heard a heart murmur when we were getting his well check. So we had to go to the hospital to get and echo cardiogram done on him- well someone messed up along the line and got our appointment mixed up because we didn't get to do the test. I was worried because I thought when he got the echo done if they saw something serious they would let us know right away- but no luck. So Dr. Steve reassured me that the surgery was not a problem and it really needed to be done.
My Mom and Dad came late the night before- so the kids were wound pretty tight the morning of the surgery. I thought Hayden could sense something was up and it was hard trying to keep him away from anything to drink.
Ok, now it is Friday and Hayden is asleep so I can finish this post. We went to the surgical center and they took Hayden into surgery- as he SCREAMED MAMA, MAMA- I could still hear him in the waiting room- I got so teary eyed and I felt so bad for him! While we were in the waiting room, Matt talked to a guy he knew from work and didn't sit and stew about our baby under the knife!
Now it is Tuesday the 16th- and I am finally getting time to finish this! (Hayden has not been a happy camper) When Hayden finally came out of surgery and we went into the room- he was MAD as heck! He was not happy- he would not drink anything and he sat and gagged and dry heaved- it was the worst feeling knowing I had put him through this! They let us leave the surgical center without him having any fluids which I thought was weird but as soon as we got out of the door he stopped crying and just kind of whimpered. Then as we got on our way home he asked about Grandpa and Grandma who had come to help with our kids, but they had taken Deirdre to St. George for her birthday! Once we got home I expected him to fall asleep since they didn't give him any pain medication because when he had his ear tubes he had a really hard time coming out of the anesthesia- so we gave him some Lortab and he came to life- no rest for him. The hardest part that day was that he couldn't have a sippy cup- so needless to say my carpet needs to be cleaned because when we give Hayden a cup he takes a drink just fine, then proceeds to dump it out on the floor and he takes pride in doing this. He loved having the popsicles but when it came time to go to sleep he was having a hard time without his milk. Plus when Matt was rocking him- he threw up because of the pain meds- so it was going to be a rough night and it was.
He has been onery but has come through fine though and I am happy that he should never have tonsillitis again!

4 comments:

Tina said...

Man, I'm feeling for you after reading this post. So sorry that you've had to go through this. And to think that in the middle of all of this you had a birthday "season".

Stacy said...

Poor baby I feel so bad for him. I didn't know he had to do that. That pain medication doesn't work on me at all and the other stuff makes me throw up so it is advil for me I feel so bad for him throwing up. Tina that was funny about birthday season

Jenny said...

I'm glad he's finally on the mend! Soon, life will be back to normal, minus the sickness, yeah!!

Tanya said...

i'm such a loser. i haven't been on here for a while! we love you hayden!