Monday, July 6, 2009

Deirdre's Troubles!







I started this post in MAY! So now it's time to play catch up!!!!

So my camera died. So while I am waiting for a new one I figured I would catch up on what we've been doing. Wyatt and Matt have been doing little league baseball- EVERYDAY! It has been quite the process but our little team, which all the players had never played little league before has won 2 games and lost 3 and they are improving every game. I hope they can hold their own for the rest of the season. Wyatt is so busy from baseball he doesn't have a lot of time to play but he is pitching and playing 3rd base. He steals the bases like crazy and he stole home one game and scored our only point.

Deirdre has been sick- she came down with Influenza B on the 30th of April and she still is running fevers. We took her back into the doctor and she now has pneumonia on top of it. She is so flat- she usually is so happy and giggly. It is hard to watch her feel so yucky. She wants to play so bad but if she goes outside she gets the chills and a fever within a 1/2 an hour so it is just not worth it. Needless to say we have watched every movie we have,Deirdre came down with Influenza B on April 30Th. I was on my way to the store when Matt called me and said that Deirdre was just shivering and she felt really hot. So I called our doctor- who was of course out of town:)and his office had me bring her in for testing. This of course is the day when the Swine Flu frenzy hit the media. I thought I was being paranoid but I wanted her checked out anyway- I knew she didn't have the actual swine flu. They swabbed her nose and the results came back as Influenza B. When we were in the office her fever was 105 degrees. So they told me just rest and Tylenol and Motrin. Well the fever went on (along with the sleepiness) forever. Her poor eyes were bloodshot and she didn't want to do anything but lay on the couch. We would check her in the night and every time she had a fever. I have never been so worried. We took her to Dr. North because she wasn't getting any better and he diagnosed her with pneumonia and gave her an anti-biotic. That was on a Friday- we had to go have her chest x-rayed and some blood drawn. She screamed when she had to get her blood drawn. Her white blood cell count was so high. Finally her fevers broke on Wednesday May 13th and we were so relieved. She missed the whole month of preschool and all of her gymnastic classes. Well, we celebrated too soon. She went to a friend's house on Friday and when she came home she just crashed and then the fevers started up again. She slept almost the whole day Saturday and had fevers all day. On Sunday she had a fever of 106. I was about ready to rush her to the ER but the Motrin brought it down quickly. I decided to wait Monday and we took her to her pre-school graduation since she hadn't had a fever for about 18 hours. Dumb idea. She was not herself at all. We are so used to a bright, happy and bubbly girl and she was just kind of sat there. She barely sang and I felt so bad. Needless to say I took her back to the doctor the next day. We had to go and get blood tests to check for mono and kidney functions along with a CBC. My mom and dad were here so we went to buy her a toy and she could have cared less. My poor mom was so worried about how Deirdre didn't want anything. We had to go to Wyatt's baseball game and Deirdre fell asleep on the blanket under and umbrella and slept through the entire game. We went home and she went to bed and slept for 12 more hours. Surprisingly, all her blood work came back normal- thankfully and they think that the flu and pneumonia really hit her hard and her body was just going to have to take time to bounce back. Her friends have been so cute asking for her and bringing her little cards and gifts and our neighbors even brought us dinner which made her feel so special. She seems to be doing better but we have decided to keep her down for the rest of the week. So we only get to go for Memorial Day for overnight but it is worth it if she can get back to full strength. You know there is something wrong with Deirdre when she doesn't even want to play with anyone. I can honestly say we have seen every Suite Life with Zack and Cody known to man!.

So we didn't get to go to my Mom's for Memorial Day because Hayden threw up. And of course, Deirdre started fevering again! We did however, go to a fun neighborhood barbecue on Monday night. But Deirdre didn't eat anything and just wanted to go home so we came in and watched Princess Diaries. We got a hold of Steve Newman and he said the next morning we should go have a urinalysis and then we could go from there. Surprise! Guess who had a UTI? Her only symptom was a fever. We got her cured from that only to have a fever again! I suspected the UTI was back but no- it was strep throat. In six weeks she had 4 courses of anti-biotics. Poor thing. And now it's July 6th and she is FINALLY back to normal- dancing around and being bubbly!

We're happy to have her back. Unfortunately, I got a new camera but lost the disk it came with so I don't have pics right now.!

No comments: