Friday, April 17, 2009

Easter Weekend and Keegan's Baptism- Almost Too Much Fun For One Person



Last weekend we were able to go see Keegan get baptized and have our Easter Egg Hunt. We had a great time. Keegan's baptism was really nice. It was good to see all of Tanya's family. However, when we tried to do a group shot of the kids, for some reason they all went berserk! I could have killed them all. They are so funny when they are together. All of them just laugh and play so well. It makes it really fun to go and visit. We then went to my mom's and got prepped for the big hunt. The weather was freezing but we still managed to do the egg hunt outside. The kids got enough candy to last forever. Every year we say don't do as much as last year, yet with my couponing skills I was able to acquire a lot of candy for almost nothing! We then had a yummy lunch/ barbecue. Mom gave all the kids her Easter presents and they had little stuffed animals in them with rabbit ears on them. The kids named the frog- frunny, the duck - dunky and their was one other one that I can't remember. Then we went to see Monster's VS. Aliens. I was surprised that Hayden actually stayed in the theater the whole time. I would say sat through the movie but he was too busy climbing over everyone to get to my Mom's Diet Coke! Yay! I knew then he was going to be a live wire the rest of the evening. The movie was hilarious but after that is when the real fun began.




After the movie I decided to go get these cake bite things my neighbor Jen (this no way implies fault- no matter what Matt says :) had let me try to put in my Mom and Dad's Easter basket. So it was raining and I talked Matt into driving me to this bakery to get them. Deirdre was with my parents so I thought we could just hurry and go get them. We barely made it before the bakery closed so I was glad. I bought a couple of cake bites and we went back out to the car. I was getting into the car with my left foot when it slipped on the wet running board and my right big toe bent under me. I jumped up and looked at my toe and said, "Matt, I think I just broke my big toe." I wasn't crying yet- Matt walked around and gasped and asked if I thought it was really broken. Besides the fact my big toe was going sideways I had a pretty big hunch- now that the blood was flowing out. I started to feel the PAIN and I got upset. Wyatt was in the back of the car and starts teasing me about my poor little toe. I turned around and told him what to do- and then my sweet little Hayden says, "Mommy, it will be ok." So were not even out of the parking lot- blood is oozing our of my toe and I start laughing and crying at the same time. (I had already been crying. Then I just got mad at myself because who knew how long it would be before I could go walking again. So Matt calls my mom and tells her we need to go to the ER, I thought the ER probably wouldn't be able to do anything anyway but she said to go. Then I tried to call my resident foot specialist, Tina but she wasn't with her phone. So then we headed to the ER where my Dad met us and took the kids. By some miracle I was the only person in the ER which kind of excited and scared me at the same time but I was able to get my foot x-rayed and then have some of the most painful shots I have ever had. Matt had to hold my leg down because I was afraid I might flinch and kick the nurse in the head. But then my toe went numb and they were able to clean it up. The x-ray showed I had broken my big toe almost all the way through (I am so thorough) and they said it was an open fracture (like I know what that meant)so then the Dr. got to come in and straighten it out. Because my nail bed got lifted up I had to take anti-biotics and I was told to stay off of it for 72 hours. I just wanted some ibuprofen but they gave Lortab which makes me sick. We went back to my mom's and thought everyone would be gone but there they all were with the usual chaos that comes with our group but all the kids wanted to see my "injury."
I also got some lovely souvenirs from the hospital such as, crutches, an ice bag for the gigantic bruise on my left leg from hitting the running board and a lovely blue shoe and of course some tape for my toes. My mom had me take a percocet to help me sleep and boy did it. I felt like I was in the 0-zone the next day, hence why we didn't get any really great pictures of our Easter morning. The kids were thrilled to see what the EB brought and it was fun to share the time at my parents. Wyatt loved his batting helment, Hayden got a cool wheel barrow and Deirdre got a Crazy Tatoo Barbie- which she said and I quote, "I hate tatoos Mom, only the ones that wash off with water are the kind I like." I will hold her to this! Anyway this was one Baptism/Easter we will never forget.





4 comments:

Tina said...

Just reading that makes my toe hurt!!! So, so sorry that you're going through this. I promise, it will get better and by that time I'll be in a good walking routine with Jenny and we'll look forward to having you back.

Jenny said...

Still makes me cringe just reading about it! Hurry up and get better already, would ya!

McKell said...

By now you should probably have the crutches working toward your advantage, you could probably out walk Tina and Jenny! Hope you have a quick recovery.

Stacy said...

Look who is talking... Jarod has been so busy at work first a really late week then gone for 9 days home for 5 gone again for 8 home for a week then I think that he is gone for 15 so not much time to take pics I know I need to do better.