So I have decided to start blogging again since I can't seem to keep a journal. I figure that I might actually be able to do this since I have a laptop and it will use my time better than playing the word games on facebook.
Where to start? Let's have an overview of 2010.
January- not much that I can remember except I kept getting the stomach flu about every two weeks.
February- We planned a trip to Disneyland! I went to the doctor and found out that I had scar tissue wrapped around my intestines- YIKES! Decided I could wait until school was out to have the "minor" surgery.
March- We went to Disneyland. We started at the beach! So much fun. The kids loved the ocean. My mom and dad went with us. My dad was awesome. He had a heart attack and triple bypass surgery in August of 2009. So we felt extremely lucky that he got to go with us. My mom was quite the trooper at the beach. We went just to "look" at the ocean the night we got there but the kids had other ideas in mind and since I didn't think to bring extra clothes- we got to go to Target and buy Wyatt and Hayden new clothes so we could go to dinner. We ate at the swankiest Cheesecake Factory in Newport Beach- because that is where the GPS told us to go. When we got back to our Hotel there was a Cheesecake Factory down the street from our hotel.
We had so much fun at Disneyland. The kids LOVED the roller coaster rides. I lost out on the touchy-feely Disneyland experience (watching the shows, going to the stores, seeing the characters) so they could hoot it up on the high power rides. I went on California Screamin' along with my Dad, Wyatt, Matt & Deirdre. My Dad,Wyatt and Matt went a bunch of times.
Hayden's favorite part of disneyland was the rocket ship ride. He had a blast- doing everything. His imaginary friend Austin even made the trip with us. Grandpa got to hear a lot about that
Deirdre's favorite memory about Disneyland was the Ariel merry-go-round & Soarin' Over California (and I'm sure the stores!) Also, she asked when we walked into Disneyland- it smelled like fresh flowers. She said, "Why does Disneyland smell like nose spray?" Their nasal spray they use for allergies smells like flowers!
Wyatt's favorite memory about Disneyland was sitting by Grandpa while riding California Screamin' and Grandpa had his hands behind his head and was so relaxed while everyone was screaming their heads off.
My favorite memory of Wyatt in Disneyland was when we were in California Adventure and Wyatt played one of the boardwalk games where you throw a baseball through a hole. You got 8 balls for 5 bucks and you had to to get 3 through the hole. I let him play once. He got so mad when he couldn't get the 3 in he needed to so I let him play again. He wasn't able to do it. So we walked away as he was begging us to let him play again. He just kept saying, "I know I can do it, I know I can if you will just let me play again. -In his relentless way that he has of begging. Anyway, the next day we were in California Adventure and my mom offered to buy Wyatt some souvenirs and he told her all he really wanted was to play the baseball game again so he could win this giant weiner dog in a hot dog bun stuffed animal. It seriously was 3 feet long! So my mom said that was fine and he went over there. It took all of his money and he got his last throw through the hole! That kid kills me. Anytime he puts his mind to something he does it.
We had a WONDERFUL TIME! (Even though I could not get anyone to go on Peter Pan's flight.) It was hard to leave. We left early so we could rush back to Mesquite for Wyatt's baseball tourney (big mistake, we could have stayed at Disneyland another day :() but anyway I am so glad my kids got to make that special memory with my Mom and Dad! They still talk about it and want to go back.
April-Let the good times roll. A trip to the ER for me with horrendous stomach pain and the decision made that I would need to have my "minor" surgery done. I went in for the surgery and the were supposed to do a laproscopy. It turned out I had tons of scar tissues everywhere so the needed to do a full blown open surgery. Let me just say- I was so upset but I was so blessed with a wonderful husband, Mom and Dad, and friends. They took such good care of me and my family. My surgery was supposed to be same day but I ended up staying 3. Plus I got the opportunity to come back one week later and stay another night because I had a blood clot in my leg. Fun! Also, during this 10 day period, I applied to be the Reading Specialist at Enoch Elementary. (They had a 1 week window that they needed to hire someone) So the day after I got out of the hospital I got to go do an interview with the Superintendent, Principal and other Reading Specialists. I got the job- I would have killed them if they didn't give it to me :). It took me a long time to recover. I went back to work about 2 1/2 weeks later but I couldn't move. Matt would come home when I got home at noon and take care of Hayden and let me sleep. He was and still is so awesome. He is such a great husband. I can't believe how good he is to all of us- especially me.
May-Baseball was in full swing. Matt was coaching Wyatt's team. I couldn't really move and chase after Hayden. Sweet Susy Benson helped me so much with taking care of my kids. At the end of May we went camping in Sand Hollow with my family. I was feeling much better but still pretty tender. We slept in the tent the first night. It was actually very comfortable but soooo windy! The next day we rode four-wheelers and went and played in the lake. I had planned to go home and sleep. Matt decided to stay with the boys and Deirdre feel asleep in the car so she just went home with me. The next day while driving back to Sand Hollow I had feeling that someone was going to get hurt. Not necessarily anyone in my family- I just thought I hope no one has to go out of there by ambulance!
When we got back down we had our yummy camp breakfast- worth going camping for- I love eating breakfast outside! We had to check out of the campground and decided we would head over to the day camp and ride 4 wheelers for a little bit before we headed home. On the way over to the day camp area I was telling Matt that we were NOT going to get in the lake because it was the sabbath. He told me that there was no difference between riding four-wheelers or swimming- I Begged to differ.-Irony to follow!
Matt took Hayden on a ride up the hill to see the lake. When they were coming back down Matt went over a ridge and the sand shifted which caused him to slide down a sand bowl. On the bottom were huge slabs of sandstone rock which he and Hayden crashed into. Hayden was wearing a helmet but Matt was not. Our brother-in-law Dave, was riding ahead of them but came back when he noticed Matt was no longer following. Dave found Matt unconscious and Hayden was patting him saying, "Daddy, wake up!" Dave got Matt to wake up and started checking him out. Some guys riding stopped and asked if they needed help. Dave asked them to go down to the camp and tell us to come help. I was in my mom's motor home when I heard these guys say, "The little boy is okay, but the guy is unconscious." I figured they were talking about Dave but then I noticed Kort and Quade were there so I knew it was Matt. I hopped on a four-wheeler and drove up to the top- the guys showed me where they were. Matt was awake and just sitting there down in the sand bowl and Dave was looking for cuts when he noticed he was bleeding out of his ear. Dave helped Matt onto the four-wheeler and drove him up and out of the bowl back down to camp. We passed the rescue crew and got him back and in a chair.
Through no coincidence there happened to be a Hurricane fireman across from our camp and while we were up with Matt they called the ambulance. So when we got back the ambulance was only a few minutes away. (Life flight was on their way but since we got him off the mountain the ambulance got to come- a total savings of about $10,000 :)
Anyway Matt was the one who got a ride out of Sand Hollow in an ambulance. Of all the IDIOTS that were riding that weekend, the kindest, safest, most careful person gets hurt.
The ambulance crew came and checked Matt and Hayden out. Hayden had been cut on his eye by his helmet. Hayden was so brave he let them look at him then we decided that he was ok and didn't need to be taken to the hospital. Matt however, was strapped to a back board and put in the ambulance. When they were getting ready to go, I was with Hayden and my mom told me to come out and go with Matt. Somehow, I twisted my feet up and fell OUT of the motor home! Right onto my stomach! Matt was laying there on the board and he's going "Carlynn, are you okay?" I hopped up and the EMT was asking me if I was okay. I was fine for the moment. The adrenaline was rushing pretty good so my ankle wasn't hurting too bad. We got to the hospital and there was a trauma team waiting. That's when I started freaking out. Apparently head injuries are very serious and deadly. Did not know that! Matt was poked and prodded. They found he had a small brain bleed between the two hemispheres of his brain- lucky- a good place to have a brain bleed. He also had a concussion and the next day when they redid the CT scan they found a small skull fracture. YIKES- he was in a lot of pain and got to spend the night in the hospital. I called Denise and she happened to be on her way to Beaver so she came and spent most of the night in the hospital with him. I had sprained my ankle from my little incident. The pain kicked after we got him to his hospital room. Fun times. Luckily my parents, Kelly and Tanya, Kim and Dave were all there so I didn't have to worry about our kids. They took great care of them. Deirdre was so upset that she came with my parents. When Hayden came to see Matt he said, "Why are you in there?" and the priceless gem- "Why did you wreck us on the four-wheeler." That kid is so funny. And yes Austin was with us during our campout.
Matt was in a lot of pain. He sat with an ice pack on his head for almost 2 weeks. He was so tough. It was hard because I still wasn't at full strength and he was down. He made it through though. He still has headaches. I am amazed at how well he came through. He was so lucky to have not been killed. We were truly blessed and I am forever thankful!
June-Matt and Carlynn laid on the couch while our kids went nuts since neither of us were strong enough to go do things! Wyatt made the all-star baseball team so Matt tried to help out a little bit. Wyatt is becoming a great player. He is fun to watch and we love spending time with his teammates families. We discovered the Washington Aquatic Center- way fun! A nice relaxing way to spend a summer day!
July-Back to life- back to reality. I had a birthday- we spent it in St. George. Hayden turned 4. He had a swimming party in the backyard. Wyatt turned 10 and took his friends to see Despicable Me for his birthday party. Baseball tournaments (need I say more). We went up to Brian Head for the fireworks on the 4th! So fun. All of my family came down. They are good people. Mom and Dad and Sylvie and Quade stayed with us and we went to the parade in Cedar the next morning. Then we went and saw Toy Story 3. Everyone says they are coming next year and I think Dad has traded time for a Condo in Brian Head. Fun and only 20 minutes from my house!
August- School is looming and we are ready. The kids are tired of being home and ready for something new. I am excited to start as the Reading Specialist. It will be fun and challenging. Matt is feeling better and ready to start school again. Hayden will go to preschool 3 days a week and Deirdre will finally be in 1st grade! Wyatt will have his last year of elementary school. Scary!
September- Deirdre's birthday month! She is so excited to turn 7. I can't believe how tall she is. Of course she is pretty too. She loves clothes from Justice For Girls and she is a total fashonista! For her birthday we had a late night pajama party. The theme was Pinkalicious. We had pink food of every type. They watched "Barbie in a Fashion Fairytale" They had a wild time. Those girls consumed every treat I put out. Deirdre is playing soccer and ootball has started. Things are so busy. My job is going great and I am lucky to go where my kids are. I have so much to learn. Hayden is loving preschool and going to Jenny and Tausha's. Deirdre is reading on the end of 2nd grade level. She is doing really well. I'm glad I didn't skip her ahead a year.
October-Football every night. Dance and just stuff. We are never home. Baseball is still going on. I am not complaining it is just very busy. We went up to my mom's for Halloween. Wyatt was a KISS rock band football player. Deirdre was a funky witch- so cute! Hayden was Batman. They had so much fun trick or treating in the rain! It was wet!
November- Football playoffs! Wyatt didn't make the 105 weight limit at the beginning of the season so he couldn't run the ball. He had to play on the line. The league director told him that if he made weight by the playoffs he could run. So Wyatt being the ever determined soul that he is made weight. He weighed 104.5. They made him weigh two times. He was so excited and he did a great job running the ball. In the championship game he scored a touchdown! On another play he ran about 15 yards dragging 4 kids. It was awesome. He has so much determination. We spent Thanksgiving in Kanab with Tom and Kristi's family. Kim and Bill came too. Maxine has alzheimers pretty badly. She is so quiet. We miss her fun teasing and joking around. Wyatt also sang with the 5th grade in a really cool Veteran's Day program.
December- Yay! Christmastime. Hayden is loving "Charlie Brown's Christmas" He loves to act like Snoopy. We are having fun watching Christmas movies. We went to Temple Square and saw the lights- in the rain! They were really pretty and the kids loved seeing the temple. It was worth all the traffic and wetness and coldness.
Deirdre had a dance review. She is in Mini-company at On-Stage Dance Studio. She did such a great job. She really has the ability to dance and she loves it. My mom and dad were going to come but my dad got really sick. They took him to the ER and he has an infection in his bone. He will need his foot amputated. We went up to go to the Maxfield Christmas party. Dad was able to come home from the hospital. My parents didn't go to the party for the first time ever. It was too weird being there without them. The kids had a blast at the party and they love seeing their cousins. My dad had an appointment with a doctor in Salt Lake but he kept getting fevers. They tried to move his appointment up but the doctor in Salt Lake wouldn't see him (he didn't want any patients in the hospital over Christmas) but told him he needed to go to the ER and be readmitted. Can I just say- Nightmare! I thought he was going to die before we got the right help. He was able to come home for Christmas but had to have his foot amputated the Monday after Christmas. I still haven't seen him yet. It has been quite the ordeal. He is so tough and my mom is too.
We had a great Christmas. Wyatt got a huge lego set, Deirdre got a camera and Hayden got his diesel he has wanted forever. It was a really fun day. And a really fun two week vacation. We feel super blessed and we are. I am lucky to be a mom to my 3 wonderful kids who I love so much! They are good kids and they really try!
Happy Birthday Deegan
12 years ago
1 comment:
Welcome back to the blogging world!! Yay!! What a year!! I can't believe that happened to Matt. I'm so glad he is okay. We keep tabs on Carl...he is so amazing. Love you guys!!
Post a Comment